- Ordering Rounding and Order of Operations
- Introduction to Inequalities
- Comparing a Numerical Expression With a Number
- Ordering Large Numbers
- Rounding to Tens or Hundreds
- Rounding to Hundreds or Thousands
- Rounding to Thousands, Ten Thousand, or Hundred Thousand
- Estimating a Sum of Whole Numbers
- Estimating a Difference of Whole Numbers
- Estimating a Product of Whole Numbers
- Estimating a Quotient of Whole Numbers
- Writing Expressions Using Exponents
- Introduction to Exponents
- Power of 10: Positive Exponent
- Power of 10: Negative Exponent
- Introduction to Parentheses
- Comparing Numerical Expressions With Parentheses
- Introduction to Order of Operations
- Order of Operations With Whole Numbers
- Order of Operations With Whole Numbers and Grouping Symbols
- Order of Operations With Whole Numbers and Exponents: Basic
- Selected Reading
- UPSC IAS Exams Notes
- Developer's Best Practices
- Questions and Answers
- Effective Resume Writing
- HR Interview Questions
- Computer Glossary
- Who is Who
Rounding to Hundreds or Thousands
Rounding of a number means replacing it with another number that is nearly equal to it but easy to represent or write. For example 754 rounded to nearest thousand is 1000.
If the rounding number is 4 or less it is round down. If the rounding number is 5 or more it is rounded up.
For example 417, 421, 430 and 446 round down to 400
456, 465, 472, 481 and 499 round up to 500.
Rules for Rounding to Hundreds or Thousands
To round a number to the nearest hundred, the digit in tens place is considered. If > = 5 rounded up and if < 5 rounded down.
To round a number to the nearest thousand, the digit in hundreds place is considered. If > = 5, rounded up and if < 5 rounded down.
Round 3,437 to the nearest hundred.
First, we look for the rounding place which is the hundreds place.
Rounding given number to the nearest hundred means we either round it down to 3,400 or round it up to 3,500.
Now we look at the digit in tens place, 3.
Since 3 is less than 5, we round down 3,437 to 3,400.
Round 7,842 to the nearest thousand.
The digit in the thousands place is 7.
Rounding given number to nearest thousand means we can round down either to 7,000 or round up to 8,000.
Now we look at the digit in hundreds place.
Since the digit in hundreds place, 8 is greater than five, we round up
7,842 to 8,000 which is the nearest thousand.